The Hangover

If you have seen the recent hit film “The Hangover” than you know exactly how our new year’s eve went.  Well, that’s not entirely true.  We didn’t steal Mike Tyson’s tiger nor did I get knocked in the nads by a crazy Asian guy hiding in the trunk of my car.  Come to think of it, our new year’s eve was really nothing like the movie “The Hangover”….except for the hangover part.  But I really like that film and wanted to give it a shout out.

As you will recall from my last posting we spent the afternoon wine tasting which had given all of us (except for Adam since he was the designated driver – sucked for him!) a healthy, glow (read: we had a good buzz going).  Francesca and I then made dinner for the four of us which, if I recall correctly, was some sort of Thai coconut chicken curry.  Well, actually Francesca made it and I cheered her on vociferously.

As you can tell from the photo above Tiff and Adam thoroughly enjoyed it too.

A bit later Tiff’s friend Andrew (who was by now a friend of us all since we bonded over beverage earlier in the day) and his mom Linda joined us for a few glasses of champagne and cigars on our balcony as the sun set.

We hadn’t really planned to head out downtown, but Andrew’s boss at Deloitte & Touche was having some sort of party at the Queenstown Yacht Club (which isn’t really a Yacht Club, but really just a bar) and we decided about twenty minutes before midnight to head down there.

The streets of Queenstown (and the balconies) were packed with revelers.

As was the Yacht Club.

Where we met up with Andrew’s boss Rebecca (the one the one on the left in the photo above) and her sister (the one on the right).

Mike, me and Andrew

We also ran into Mike our jet boat driver on Shotover River Canyon.   We bought him a few drinks and he stayed around, got hammered and tried desperately to hit on Rebecca who, interestingly, appeared to have eyes only for Andrew, who, sadly for Rebecca, only has eyes for Asian women.

Here’s the gang just after the stroke of midnight.  We are all standing outside to watch the fireworks which turned out to be very underwhelming – you could barely see them over the roof of the restaurant in front of us.  I guess when it comes to fireworks you get spoiled living in New York City.

Don’t let this nice shot fool you, these fireworks were pretty lame.

The team still going strong around 1am.

Things starting to unravel around 2am. Mike is working it hard.

It was at this point that Franny and I took our leave and headed home – though not before trying to force open a McDonald’s for some late night munchies.  We eventually found a 24 hour convenience store and gobbled up some beef jerky.  We hadn’t really gone out partying on New Year’s Eve for quite a few years and it made us both feel young and old at the same time.  It was a long ten minute walk back to our apartment, but we were out as soon as our heads hit the pillows. Tiff and Adam outlasted by two and a half hours. I know this because I inadvertently locked them out of the house and they had to come around and bang on our window until I finally woke up and let them in.

The next day Adam was supposed to go sky diving, but he was too hung over.  And he wasn’t the only one.  We rallied though and hopped in the car for the short ride to Arrowtown, a quaint little town about fifteen minutes from Queenstown, where we lay in the grass and ate ice cream, saw the Swedish film “The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo” in a really cool art house theater with couches, and ate dinner at one of the many delicious restaurants in town.

Tiff and Adam left the following day to go to the Franz Josef Glacier which left Franny and I with one day alone.

It was one of the more beautiful days we’d had in Queenstown and after a tasty, light meal at one of the many waterside restaurants we went on a long walk along the shores of Lake Wakatipu.

A cormorant or whatever drying its wings.

Little tyke riding his bike at the skateboard park.

The most adorable little dog we met along the way.

Near to our house we saw these two American girls who are driving an old VW bus around New Zealand.  We could really relate to their motto inked onto the back of their van.

That evening Francesca and I went to some hot springs – essentially private wooden hot tubs with amazing views.

Livin’ la vida luxurious.

Franny enjoying the view as the sun begins to set.

The fake candles add to the ambiance.

We were really bummed to be leaving Queenstown.  We loved it so much that we actually entertained the idea of finding employment and staying there at least through the end of the year, but then we remembered that you need a working visa to get a job and we figured that might be a challenging task, what with my near conviction on drug possession charges at the airport and all.  Plus, we were VERY excited about our next adventure waiting for us on the North Island in Waitomo Caves.


4 Responses to “The Hangover”

  1. Good times, good times…

    Being the designated driver is not a bad gig. You can take incriminating photos of everyone for use in blackmail later – LOL

    I’ve got to see ‘The Hangover’. Seems like everyone has seen it except for me!

  2. What does ” hangover” mean?? I am totally unfamiliar with the terminology you are foisting upon your blogger audience.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: